Human Computer Interaction
- How do we design it?
- How do we build it?
- How do we evaluate what we have designed and built?
Early design approaches:
- Requirements/data gathering:
–User analysis (know your user)
– Task analysis
– Environment/domain Analysis
– Data collection Methods: e.g. interviews, questionnaires, focus groups, observation
- Conceptual design
– Description of what the system should do and look like
- Physical design
– Considers the physical details of the system
How do we build it? – Prototyping techniques
– Low-fidelity prototyping (sketches and paper prototyping) » Sketches, storyboards, scenarios, etc
– High-fidelity (digital) prototyping » Using development tools
» Almost the final product
– Native prototyping
How do we evaluate what we have designed and built?
– Evaluation techniques such as:
- Heuristic evaluation
– Nielson’s 10 heuristics
– Shneiderman’s 8 golden rules
- Usability test